India is kept in the Group A for AFC Asian Cup 2019. According to aiff.com, the host United Arab Emirates (UAE), Thailand and Bahrain are also in this group along with India. Senior national football coach Stephen Constantine and team manager Shanmugam Venkatesh were also present in Dubai on the occasion of draw.
National Football Coach Stephen Constantine said that India could qualify for knockout of this Continental Champions i.e. AFC Asian Cup 2019 in UAE. Stephen said this after the announcement of the draw results for this championship. India is in Group A in league stage.
— #AsianCup2019 (@afcasiancup) May 5, 2018
India’s captain and Striker Sunil Chhetri said, “The AFC Asian Cup is a great opportunity for us and we are focusing on this. AFC Asian Cup is a great opportunity for us to play against the best teams in Asia. In this, we will also get an opportunity to play against the Asian players who play in European and the other Premier Leagues in the world. Playing in it will be an eye-opener for our players, we will learn a lot. ‘
India has qualified for the fourth time in AFC Asian Cup. When India participated in 2011, then the present captain of Indian football team Sunil Chhetri was a part of the national team. India was runners-up of the Asian Cup in 1964.
About the Format and the Event:
- AFC Asian Cup will be held from January 5 to February 1 in eight stadiums of UAE.
- These four Cities are Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah and Al Ain.
- The top 24 teams of Asia are divided into six groups of four teams along with the host UAE.
- All the teams in the group will play against each other.
- The top two teams from all the six groups and the four best teams in the third position will reach to the super 16 round.