In what came as a surprising move, Swiss Tennis sensation Roger Federer withdrew from the Rogers Cup which will be played in Toronto. The Rogers Cup will be played in Toronto next month and the 36-year-old star’s pull out can be seen as a part of his efforts to choose his schedule carefully and prudently.
Roger Federer who is presently number in the world rankings announced his withdrawal on Monday from the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event.
The Rogers Cup will be played between August 6 and August 10. Not seeing Federer play will surely be a huge disappointment for his Canadian fans.
Roger Federer said that he feels sad about not playing in the Rogers Cup. Federer said that he loved being in Montreal last year and loves to play in front of the Canadian crowd but he needs to be judicious with his scheduling so as to increase his longevity in the game.
Citing his scheduling as his key concern he said that he has regretfully decided to pull back from the Rogers Cup. He further said that he wishes the tournament a great success and even apologised for his decision to not play in the tournament.
Not so good for Federer:
Roger Federer lost his world number rank to Rafael Nadal after Federer failed to convert his participation in the Halle Open’s Final into a win.
Following the Halle Open, even Wimbledon did not go well for him and he failed to defend his title. This year’s Wimbledon Title was clinched by Serbian star Novak Djokovic.